Monday, February 11, 2008

Dancing Queen

On Saturday night, I went to my very first... and second... Singles Dance.

I will admit to having been resistant to the concept, prior to this. But this year is all about broadening my horizons, and I had the perfect opportunity, since one of my activity groups was hosting a special "Valentine's" dance. So, I primped and put on my dancing shoes and a cute outfit and headed on out to see what it was like.

Overall, it wasn't a great experience.

When I first walked in it seemed very festive--there was a greeter at the door, and the women taking admission were very friendly. I think that the organizers are, in fact, a nice bunch of folks. But upon entering the ladies' room for a quick pit stop, the mood swiftly changed. Being a fairly friendly sort myself, I tried to start up a conversation, and a couple of the women were just plain catty and downright rude. Do women really feel that there are so few men "available" that they need to alienate each other just to feel like they have some sort of "edge"? At a Singles Dance?? Come on people--we're all out here together. Let's have some fun while we're at it!

Anyway, I got the heck out of there with as much grace as I could muster, and hit the dance floor, but unfortunately, it just didn't seem to be my kind of scene.

The good news is that I met two other women who were really cool and fun. They were familiar with the "Dance" scene (I'm learning fast and on my feet!) and told me that this particular dance was L.A.M.E. They were leaving, and invited me to follow them over to another dance (I had heard about it but thought this one looked better--ha!), and I grabbed the chance to get the heck out of there.

The second dance was everything that the first was not! It was HUGE and held in a beautiful ballroom overlooking a lake. I met lots of nice, friendly people, danced quite a bit and had such a good time! I even got a couple of "West Coast Swing" lessons from a very capable young man (!)

I'll be going back again for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.

I have to admit dancing always scared the daylights out of me during high school, but it's something I wouldn't mind doing with someone who was extremely patient and could put up with a goof like me! ;o)

Sad to see some chics were hostile at the event in the toilets... I hope you didn't jump the line?

I also heard from a friend last week that if you ever wanted to meet chics dancing was the place to go as there's always more women than men at those events. Would you say that'd be true SG?

single grrl said...

Hi Ryan--I would say that while there were a lot of men at both events, the women outnumbered men in both cases. The final count for the first dance was 80 women and 65 men. I don't have the figures for the second dance which was MUCH larger, but my guess is the ratio was about the same.

Regardless of the numbers game, I'm finding that going out dancing is a GREAT way to meet people. And it is a LOT more fun than yet another blind date, that is for sure. :)

And don't be afraid--dancing's easier than you think! If I can do it, anyone can!